Wednesday, June 24, 2009

catching up...

Hi all.  Since my last post (which was months ago),  I have been working hard and have a few things to report.   I ran the Boulder Boulder with my sister in law.  It is a 10k.  My goal was not to walk and to finish.  Did both.  Praise the Lord.  We ran 3 11 minute miles and 3 10 minute miles.  IT is a really fun race.  Tons of people, lots of music, and a few crazies to keep things interesting.

Here is a pic of my sister in law and I afterwards....



This past weekend we were in Colorado with a group of friends and family and hiked a 14er.  I have never attempted one and it was hard for me.  I thought I was in pretty good shape until 10 steps up the mountain I was panting like Tabby after I have thrown her the frisbee 50 times. :)  The way up was hard.  I made it to about 14,000 feet and the mountain was 14,295.  We were hiking in snow and I did not have the right gear for that, so my feet were frozen, the top was steep and snowy, and I decided that I was being foolish.  I couldn't feel where I was stepping, so I reluctantly headed back down the mountain.  It was pretty hard on my body... I threw up a few times on the way down, and my buttocks have never been so sore, but it was a great great experience!  Here is a pic of the mountain looking down when were about halfway up the peak... I was sooo close to the top.  Next time I will make it and next time if we hike in snow I will have water proof hiking boots... :)
I was inspired on the mountain.  It reminded me of how small I am and how big God is.  I was also inspired by the 9 year old and the 5 month pregnant lady that beat me all the way to the top and back.:)

love to all!

2 comments:

Liz said...

You are a strong mom! Having adventures and challenging yourself to new things. I am proud of you!

Jen Stutzman said...

Abby, only you could say that you had a great time after vomiting on your way down. You are one tough mama. Love ya!