Monday, March 9, 2009

Importance in Stretching

After over 2 weeks out of training due to moving, I finally ran a couple miles this morning. My knee started hurting half-way through & I was reminded of the importance of stretching after working out, especially when you're old

A friend, Anne Moore, who is a dancer in New York City, said stretching her I.T. band, (I think it's a muscle that runs along side the outside thigh & wraps around the knee,) is vital in helping alleviate her knee pain. Since it's such a tough muscle area to fully stretch, she suggested massaging it as well. She uses some kind of plastic tool to work out the kinks.

Stretching completely helped my knee when I got home.

So, even though it takes extra time, which is a precious commodity for many, stretching is worth it.
SL

2 comments:

Jen Stutzman said...

You are so right. I always skip stretching because of time but my body is paying for it. I am trying to stretch a lot more. Thanks for the reminder.

Rachel Olsen said...

Hey - just found this blog. :)

As a former gymnast, I can attest to the importance of stretching both pre and post workout. It not only helps prevent injuries but flexibilty is as much a part of physical fitness as strength or endurance.

I look forward to looking around here!