Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Battles won


What a beautiful day for a race! Waking up to 55 degrees and not having to wear gloves, tights and a hat was an absolute dream for this tired-of-cold-dark-mornings runner. Prayer #1: answered. With all the runners this year, it took my pace group 8:45 minutes to even get to the start line. Luckily we were microchipped. It was elbow to elbow for most of the race, and I was thinking what a good girl I was for following the rules and not wearing headphones while several rule-breakers ran to their tunes. I've always had trouble keeping my blood sugar even during long runs but this time I ate a clif blok every two miles or so. It worked! Prayer #2: answered. The bike path was extremely packed with people so that slowed me down. I won't forget running that path with Jen 6 years ago and waving at our lovely husbands on their bikes on the highway, in the pouring rain. The dreaded hill came at mile 9, but I asked for perseverance. Prayer #3: answered. Miles 11 and 12 proved extremely difficult for me as my low ab and low back took on extreme cramping-the crippling kind. A running couple came upon me about that time and said, "we've been watching you the whole way. you can do it!". I nearly cried on the spot. "Lord, get me to the finish line. I just want to make it!". I crossed the finish in 2:17:30. Two and a half minutes faster than my goal this year. Prayers #4 and 5: Answered! The Lord watched over me and was with me for every stride, even when I wanted to lay down on the street it hurt so bad. And yes, I too cried at the finish; tears of joy, tears of mental battles won, tears of physical pain, tears of strained faith. I'm so thankful for the faithful God I serve. He is the best running partner I could ever ask for.

3 comments:

Jen Stutzman said...

Oh, hannah I am so proud of you and wish I could of been there with you. What a journey with the Lord. It must have been packed this year. I am getting ready to go for a run right now and worship our Lord every step of the way.

Jen Stutzman said...

can you post some pictures of you coming into the finish?

Liz said...

Thank you for sharing your life with us, and we were thinking of you Sunday. I rejoice with you in prayers answered and God's love towards you!