Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Running: My New Love

SHOCKING I know.. my title has love and running in the same sentence. So I have been into my 1/2 Marathon training for three weeks now and I AM LOVING IT! Last week I ended up having to sit three days out from my workouts because I was sick and never would i have thought in my entire life that I would miss running! lol. It's amazing how God can take something you have dreaded your entire life and turn it into something you love. I find that I do my BEST thinking when I am running, so good in fact that I wish I could somehow bring a pad a pen and write down all my good ideas that I think of. I sometimes feel like I'm on the verge of being a genius with all the great ideas that I come up with, only then I realize that maybe I'm more so dreaming then just thinking because I think more about it later and I'm like, 'what was I thinking?'.. It must be a part of the runners high or something. I don't know. I was telling Jen in a response to her comment, that I'm beginning to love running so much that I'm almost sad when the time is up, but then I realize how out of breath I am and I find myself embracing my front door with open arms! :)

Anyways so Liz you were asking about the training program so... I am doing a 12 week training program, where I run my long distance on Saturday, where I add a mile each week, and then I run my shorter distances anywhere from 2-4 miles during the week and work on bettering my time. But I leave Friday and Sunday for my rest days!
And its actually going really well! It's been nice to be able to set a plan and to have a goal for each week to reach. With all the years of sports that I have put my body through, I feel like my body is learning a whole new type of discipline! Its awesome!

I hope that everyone's workouts are going great! And one thing that I have learned in this process is that learning to love training and running and pushing myself has helped more than anything!! I hope you all are having as good of an experience as I am!!

EL

3 comments:

Jen Stutzman said...

Ellie that is so awesome to read. Running becomes addictive if you can push through the weeks of pain. Okay Ellie here are some of the songs I listen to when working out or artists.
Ben Jah
anyone from Reach REcords
Laura Story
Gateway worship

Jen Stutzman said...

Ellie I have not sent your tank top yet I will get it in the mail soon.

Liz said...

very cool- and inspiring to hear of the way your whole attitude toward running changed. It is possible! thanks for sharing the workout schedule. I think it is wise that you rest 2 days/week. I like to listen to Tree63, David Crowder(illuminate), and Shawn McDonald when I run. Happy trails! Liz