Thursday, November 20, 2008

Losing Milk

I am learning how to get out and walk with my kids now that they are growing to new stages. Joseph is too big to fit in the double stroller, so I let him ride his tricycle. I put Bella in the stroller and tied Rocky, our dog, to the stroller. Jesse was sleeping at home with Blake. It was a rare, pleasant day in late November here, so that's why I had to get out with the kids. Half the time I had to push the stroller and pull Joseph in his trike. That was great for the thighs, wow! So, Jeni has helped me be creative in walking with a 4 year old, 2 year old, infant, and dog. It is a great illustration of the life of a young mom. Juggling many responsibilities at once, and still standing.

New Topic: Also, I have been struggling through my fears of losing weight after giving birth because I don't want to run out of milk. With my first two children my body lost weight quickly just by breastfeeding. After 6-7 months my milk supply started to get low. I don't want this to happen again. I did some research yesterday and found that it is not so much your weight although you don't want to be under weight while breastfeeding. The most important thing is getting enough calories a day from high power foods. Here were the top foods for pregnant/breastfeeding moms: High fiber cereal, Eggs, Lean Beef, Wild Alaskan Salmon (less chemicals in Alaska), Spinach, Broccoli, Nuts, Yogurt, and Beans/Legumes. The experts also said that sugary foods should be very limited for breastfeeding moms. Well, I have always saved most of my calories for desserts. I now see that I have to flip my eating habits to keep up my milk supply. I don't have to be scared of going back to my pre-pregnancy weight, as long as I am getting more of my calories from highly nutritious foods and not sugar. This is very freeing for me, and hope it is good information for you all, too. If any of you have advice for keeping up milk production I would love to hear it.

3 comments:

Jen Stutzman said...

Wow, that is great information. I am sure you are sad to give up some sugar but i am glad that you found this out. I have a great recipe for you that has a power food, avocados in it. I will post it this morning.

Abby McNair said...

Hey Liz... I am actually struggling with low milk supply right now. ARia has been having all kinds of problems and I didn't even think of that until I pumped the other day and only got 1/2 of an ounce... yikes. I have also been concerned about losing my pounds...still have 13 to go:) - Milkworks in Lincoln told me to stop excercising until I get my milk supply back up... (i don't agree.... I think I can do enough diet changes, pumping, sleep etc to help. Any thoughts? I have been trying to eat more specific 'power' foods, so we'll see how it goes... ah motherhood.

Hannah Randell said...

Don't forget the dairy products, moms! I ate yogurt every day and I'm sure it helped my milk supply. In addition to that, it whittled my middle fast (new research proves it helps to decrease fat in the belly area(, and kept my intestinal tract clean (probiotics). The red or blue Yoplaits are the best!